Best Laid Plans of Mice and Chisel
Today at YAPC I got unexpectedly moved to the main room; somehow this messed up all the mental preparations I’d made for the day:
- sitting through at least one talk in the room
- checking the layout, setup, etc
- working out where I’d stand relative to the screen
- (yada, yada)
I was lazy in the wrong ways and hadn’t figured on a move to a stage with a podium and a mic and a huge projection behind me.
Worse, and the thing I’m kicking myself most about is:
- I didn’t plug my (current) laptop into ANY projectors at all before my talk
- I’d assumed I could remember (in a moment of panic) that I could find certain settings
In my vague defense:
- the previous talk overran
- I didn’t have the five minute grace period to find the setting(s) I wanted
- people were drilling into my head with their evil laser-beam eyes!
I did muddle my way through but I’m thoroughly upset and unimpressed with my presentation skills today. It’s only my second YAPC talk but I really should have known better.
Next time I’ll get it right - I promise!