GraphViz2 V 2.43 now does image maps

Missing and outdated CPAN modules in Ubuntu (Debian)

Today I tried to set up the Perl Maven site on a fresh Ubuntu/xenial 16.04 using the system-perl.

Most of the CPAN modules the site needs could be installed using apt-get, but there were a few that I could not find or that were outdated.

Acme::MetaSyntactic 1.012 not found.
Business::PayPal 0.13 not found.
DBIx::RunSQL 0.12 not found.
Dancer2::Plugin::Passphrase 2.0.5 not found.
Dancer2::Session::Cookie 0 not found.
EBook::MOBI 0 not found.
MetaCPAN::Client 0 not found.
Module::Version 0 not found.
Template 2.25 not found. We have 2.24.
Test::WWW::Mechanize 1.44 not found. We have 1.42.
URL::Encode::XS 0 not found.
YAML::XS 0.59 not found. We have 0.41.

Looking for Eugene van der Pijll

Eugene van der Pijll is the author of DateTime::Calendar::Christian, which manipulates dates in either Julian or Gregorian calendars, depending on what the date actually is. This module has not been updated since 2003, and uses the DateTime language interface, that has since been deprecated in favor of locale and retracted..

I am trying to get it fixed, and am willing to adopt the module myself if that is what is necessary. I am working my way through Neil Bowers' Adopt a CPAN module. The forked and patched module can be found at GitHub. My desire is at least to get the stuff currently in GitHub into the module; that is, use the locale interface, add method today(), and document the valid values for reform_date. If I actually end up co-maintainer, I plan to fix what I see as a bug in DefaultReformDate() when the reform date is invalid, and try to flesh out missing methods in the DateTime interface.

Perl 5 Porters Mailing List Summary: October 11th-17th

[edit: This was 5.22.3 released. Thank you for spotting the error, Kent Fredric!]

Hey everyone,

Following is the p5p (Perl 5 Porters) mailing list summary for the past week.


Dancer2 0.204001 restores 5.8 support, fixes Test::Perl::Critic dependencies

Dancer2 0.204001 is on its way to a CPAN mirror near you. There are several important updates in this release that are worth noting:

  • Support for Perl 5.8 support has been restored. We used a named capture in a regex in resolving an issue in Dancer2 0.204000 and in the process, made Dancer2 unusable on Perl 5.8. This has been fixed. Thanks veryrusty!

  • Dancer2 0.204000 unintentionally required that Test::Perl::Critic be installed, and that we pass Perl::Critic tests to install properly. This has been reverted. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The full changelog is here:

0.204001  2016-10-17 08:29:00-05:00 America/Chicago

* Restore 5.8 support (fix test which required captures).
  (Russell @veryrusty Jenkins)
* PR #1271: fix wrong regex check against $_ (Mickey Nasriachi)

* GH #1262: Add 'encode_json' and 'decode_json' DSL, which are
  recommended instead of 'to_json' and 'from_json'.
  (Dennis @episodeiv lichtenthäler)

* Fix some typos.(Dennis @episodeiv lichtenthäler)
* GH #1031: Remove D2::Core::Context remnants from docs.
  (Sawyer X)

* GH #1273: Do not require Test::Perl::Critic to install.
  (Dennis lichtenthäler)

Thanks to Dennis @episodeiv Lichtenthäler for contributing to this release.

Happy Dancing!

SparrowHub Plugins Request

A quick search at github on something like Perl/Bash scripts gives me a lot of results.

As developers we more think about modules and libraries when talk about software reuse. But in our day-to-day life scripts still take a vital part. Scripts like little, but useful commands to get our job done. This is why people from many programming languages/environments tend to create a places for such a tools called repositories, so other could easily find, install and run scripts or utilities. To list a few:

Well. A SparrowHub is a attempt to make a such effort in Perl communities to create a repository of useful automation scripts. Sparrow is Perl friendly in many ways:

  • it is written on Perl
  • it gets installed as CPAN module
  • it respects carton/cpanfile dependency management for your scripts
  • it supports Config::General format for script configuration ( among JSON, YAML and command line parameters )

Well let me now turn to the essential point of my post.

Perl Executing Browser version 0.3

Less than two months after the release of version 0.2, I can announce the release of version 0.3 of Perl Executing Browser (PEB) - our minimalistic HTML GUI for Perl desktop applications similar to Electron and NW.js.

The new version introduces strict separation between trusted and untrusted content, which can not be mixed together in one browser window. Local content and scripts, as well as all Perl-related functionality stay separated from untrusted web content in different browser windows for enhanced security of all PEB-based Perl applications.

Version 0.3 is also capable of starting Linux superuser scripts using 'gksudo'.

As usual, any feedback and suggestions are quite welcome!

Next stable DBD::SQLite will be released in mid November

DBD::SQLite 1.51_06 (with SQLite 3.15.0) is a release candidate of the next stable DBD::SQLite. As always, please test it with your modules/applications and let me know if you find anything, especially if you're using FTS because DBD::SQLite has disabled two-arg fts3_tokenizer() for security concern from the upstream. If there's no blocker nor request to wait, I'll release 1.52 in the mid November.

See Changes file in the distribution for other fixes and improvements, and see also for the changes in SQLite library.

About is a common blogging platform for the Perl community. Written in Perl and offering the modern features you’ve come to expect in blog platforms, the site is hosted by Dave Cross and Aaron Crane, with a design donated by Six Apart, Ltd.