Translating LaTeX to Word: Pandoc
As some of you might notice from my old tech blog, I often have problems with my colleagues in the Humanities because they use Word and I use LaTeX. This cause me recently to have a lost day as I had to translate a PDF by hand into Open Office so I could send it in Word to my editor.
In my search to make this process much less arduous, I believe that I have found the panacea: pandoc. I tried it on my XeLaTeX file for my current article and it worked very, very well. It outputs in OpenOffice format and from there, it is easy to translate into Word.
There are two problems (as there always are). First, it does not handle BibTeX at all so you must copy and paste that information by hand from your PDF. Second, it mangled the Greek that I had in the file which means that pandoc does not handle UTF-8 very well at some point in the process of producing the Open Office file. I will need to file a bug report. Other than that, however, I am very impressed