These benchmarks seem wrong...

Back in the fall of 2013 I began working on a project called C::Blocks. After some very long detours the project is finally coming to fruition. I recently took it for a spin on a benchmark from the benchmarksgame. The results? Let's just say I was very surprised.

PDL features I'd like to see in Perl 6

I recently asked around #perl6 as to a mailing list where I might discuss PDL features that I'd like to see in Perl 6. Synopsis 9 is supposed to discuss these features, but the PDLish ideas feels like a straight port of PDL, rather than a rethink of what's important. I wanted to discuss things a bit.

The answer was, "Write a blog post." This post contains what I consider to be the essential ingredients of PDL that I think are easily achievable for Perl 6 v1.0. I want Perl 6 to provide an expressive language for writing operations on high dimensional data. I believe that we (and I do include myself) can get this done by Christmas if others can help me out.

How Perl + StickK helped me get organized

The last three months have been some of the most professionally productive months I've had in years. In true Perl fashion, it all boils down to a Perl-related "hack" with

DOIs for Perl Module tarballs, probably

A while back, Mark Fisher wrote about DOIs. As an academic, I asked about how I might cite a DOI for some Perl work. I was recently made aware of two possibilities.

Lexical closures with END blocks warn, but Just Work

I was just impressed by the awesomeness of Perl. More testing revealed to me that "use 5.018" does not invoke "use warnings", which dampened my enthusiasm a little. But Perl is still pretty awesome. Here's the situation.

I write lots of Prima GUI applications. In this one (a presentation if you can believe that), I wanted a timer so I could see how long my talk was going. I had just run through part of my lecture and meant to check my time before closing (the clock is discretely placed in a separate window), but forgot to check before quitting the talk. Frustrated, I decided that I wanted my program to print the talk duration when it was finished.

My normal approach would have been to declare a file-scope lexical that gets initialized at startup, and refer to that in my END block. But instead, I decided to embed the END block within the initialization function itself.