November 2010 Archives

short CPANTS update

After some kind member(s) of brought the server back to life, and some anonymous coward sent me an email via an anon remail asking for fresh data, I got my lazy ass off my chair .. wait, no, actually I stayed seated in my office chair .. so I got my lazy mind off other things and started a complete CPANTS reindex yesterday morning. It took all day, but since of yesterday evening there should be new and up-to-date data available on

Of course the code that's generating the data is rather out of date, especially with regard …

Posting utf8 data using LWP::UserAgent

Yesterday we had some troubles setting up a client that should post some utf8 JSON to a web API. The problem was, that the data kept showing up as latin-1. After lots of "fun" with hexdump, wireshark, the debugger and Devel::Peek we verified that we were in fact passing a properly utf8 encoded JSON to LWP::UserAgent like so:

    my $response = $ua->post(
        $self->api_base_url . '/' . $args->{action},
        'Content-type'   => 'application/json;charset=utf-8',
        Content          => $args->{data},

Still we didn't receive utf8 on the server.

About domm

user-pic Just in case you like to know, I'm currently full-time father of 2 kids, half-time Perl hacker, sort-of DJ, bicyclist, no longer dreadlocked and more than 34 years old but too lazy to update my profile once a year. I'm also head of, no longer maintainer of the CPANTS project, member of the TPF Grants Commitee and the YAPC Europe Foundation. I've got stuff on CPAN, held various talks and organise the Austrian Perl Workshops and YAPC::Europe 2007.