In the name of "Create great things (in Perl)"
You may have noticed my commentary on the Perl version number debate. I think that that debate is a possible way of raising the profile of the language we love, but that’s not why I called.
chromatic petdance and I’m sure others have suggested that rather than infight (which I don’t believe I’m doing, btw) is to make something great and show it off. While I don’t think this is enough to raise Perl’s profile ourside of our community, I have seen and IMHO done some very cool things this week:
Things I’ve Seen
- play-perl - A social coding game
- TryPerl - An online IDE for writing and running Perl scripts (per the author, it might still need a little help). This is a “try before you install” solution.
- Farabi - A CPAN installable browser-based Perl IDE.
- PerlTuts - An interactive “learn as you go” introduction to Perl
Things I’ve Done
- Demonstate non-blocking websocket file uploads (for eventual use in Galileo)
- Played with Lvalue accessors. Should it be a MooseX module?
It may not be enough, but its always nice to share what you and others are doing. Go Perl!