My Top MySQL Gripes
Due to some (legitimate) criticism I received for complaining about MySQL in another forum without bothering to say why, here is my list of my top MySQL complaints:
- CHECK constraints are parsed and then ignored
- No custom data types!!! (This really hurts me)
- No partial index support
- No subqueries on views
- Default values are severely crippled
- Cascading updates and deletes will not fire triggers
- No multiple triggers of the same type
- No triggers on views
Yes, triggers should be avoided, but if you can't avoid them, don't cripple 'em.
Many of these issues force devs to push logic into the application layer where they're far more likely to be buggy.
Actually, if I could just have three of those fixed, I'd want custom data types (with operators, please), sane default values and check constraints.