Removing Locale::Country::SubCountry from CPAN
Reluctantly, I've removed Locale::Country::SubCountry from CPAN, since I have no reasonable means of keeping the data up-to-date.
This data included subcountry names in the native scripts of the corresponding countries.
As a replacement, I spent a lot of time developing WWW::Scraper::Wikipedia::ISO3166. This (gently) scrapes country and subcountry names off Wikipedia, and stores them in an SQLite db.
The names are all use (more-or-less) latin letters (i.e. A-Z, a-z, with diacritics).
This is not my preference, but I've decided to adopt a policy of:
o Hoping ISO3166 is kept up-to-date (which is reasonable).
o Hoping someone, somewhere keeps Wikipedia up-to-date. I can't say whether or not this is reasonable, but I'm just going to assume it is.
I'll document various issues people might have with the Wikipedia/IS03166 version of such data.
A typical instance is the name of Bolivia:
o Wikipedia/ISO3166 calls it 'Bolivia, Plurinational State of' whereas you probably (and reaonably) expect it to be called 'Bolivia'.
Of course, Kim Ryan's module Locale::SubSountry, is always available, if mine provides data which fails to meet your expectations :-).