News and updates
Perl 5.23.9 is now out!
All tickets blocking 5.25.1 are now collected in Perl #127731.
Steve Hay is organizing the voting file for 5.22.2.
Dave Mitchell providing his grant report.
version.pm was upgraded in core to 0.9914.
- Perl #127743: Storable loses information on large strings.
- Perl #127739:
breaks compilation of XS modules on 5.8.5 with
-Duseithreads -Doptimize='-g' -DDEBUGGINGon GCC 5.3.1.
- Perl #127742: Hash keys are limited to 2 GB.
- Perl #127727: Bleadperl breaks RPerl.
- Perl #127759:
sortcomparitor causes SV error.
- Perl #127760: File::Path fails tests in non-threaded builds on smoke testing.
- Perl #127746:
charset.tfails on Solaris.
- Perl #127788:
- Perl #127790: Segfault involving Data::Dumper, anonymous sub, and scalar ref.
- Perl #127780:
Document that backticks and
qxreturn octets, not characters.
- Perl #127794:
Strange behavior when forking in
- Perl #127705: Segfault / strange match with recursive subpattern.
- Perl #127231: Bleadperl breaks App::JobLog.
- Perl #57512:
close()s are silently unchecked for error.
- Perl #127690: Add contributing/VCS repository to Carp.
- Perl #125303: Bleadperl breaks IPC::Run.
- Perl #127543:
-DDEBUGGINGbuilds now fail on Solaris.
- Perl #127455: Regexp fails to compile on Solaris x64 debugging optimized builds.
- Perl #127764:
-Dusebacktracedoesn't compile on Darwin.
- Perl #124430: Bleadperl breaks App::assh.
- Perl #126484: Bleadperl breaks Lexical::SealRequireHints.
- Perl #126545: Bleadperl breaks perl5i.
- Perl #127713: Bleadperl breaks Unicode::Unihan.
- Perl #127316:
lib/File/Copy.tfails when running in non-root.
- Perl #125887:
- Perl #125972: Segfault on bareword as loop index.
- Perl #127783:
perlportPOD "portable filename characters" chart missing "s".
- Perl #127183: Non-canonical hexadecimal floats are parsed prematurely.
- Perl #127751: Error building ODBM_File.
- Perl #127773:
Assertion failure in perl build with
- Perl #127553: autouse misbehaves if target module is already loaded.
Bulk88 provides a patch in
to silence warnings in
inline.h on Win64 VC build. It was
In a conversation around Perl #127712, it was suggested that a future version of Perl might incorporate a fix for the vivification problem, perhaps using a perl-version feature bundle. The problem is that is that autovivification doesn't always respect lvalue vs. rvalue.
The discussion revolving a new type of word boundary continues. One suggested, raised by Abigail, is to provide a class of new boundaries - word boundaries being only one of them. Continue to read the thread here.
a problem he's been chasing with a library that misbehaves on Cywgin,
due to how
ld searches for libraries vs. the search algorithm of
require statements with barewords with leading colons.
another opinion regarding the change Steve Hay is making, putting
Winsock errors into
Dave Mitchell, Aristotle Pagaltzis, and Karl Williamson worked on
why we keep some generated files in
.gitignore but some we do
not. Zefram offers the explanation.
Dave Mitchell suggested adding optional types to subroutine signatures. Zefram would like the options to stay open for something broader and the conversation contains a few ideas on what can be done in the future in subroutine signatures.
Karl Williamson raises the issue of Perl's fundamental flaw in the interaction of perl and ithreads. He asks what to do about locales and threads in the upcoming perl 5.24.
the deprecation of
encoding.pm and finding a new home for one of