Hacktivity report (Apr-Jul 2012)
The original plan made at the end of March of working on the Sah data validation framework and form processing framework didn't happen. In April and May I released fewer CPAN distributions due to vacation.
In May and June a majority of my Perl hacking time is spent around the transaction specification in Rinci and Riap, plus a framework/generator for creating functions that support undo/transaction, because writing such functions directly has become too complex and error prone. I have completed the specification, and converted a few Setup modules to using it (the rest will follow). A demo script has also been created and blogged about.
In July I released several modules to add Log::Any logging to various things: Log::Any::For::LWP, Log::Any::For::DBI, Log::Any::For::Builtins. Now displaying detailed logging is just a single line away.
Some other things which I worked on during this period:
- Perinci::Exporter - this is one of the final important pieces before using Perinci/Rinci/Riap is easier and more practical. The one last piece would be the data validation framework. I've started writing tutorial on using Perinci, due to be included with the next release of Perinci.
- Org::Parser - increased parsing speed and implemented caching. It's chronicled in its own blog post.
- Unixish - a simple data transformation/filtering framework, inspired by Unix toolbox philosophy (mainly, piping). I will be needing this more for filtering/formatting columns/rows in my upcoming Text::PrettyTable. The module has been used in Data::Format::Pretty::Console to format dates, for starters.
- Module::Patch can now add/replace/delete subroutines aside from just wrapping them.
- Various new modules, among others: Data::Dump::Color, File::Trash::FreeDesktop, Tie::Diamond, Syntax::Feature::EachOnArray, CPAN::Critic::Module::Abstract, Pod::Weaver::Section::Changes
- Small improvements made to many modules, too
manylazy to list them all.
Important things learnt during this period:
- Writing your own spec works.
- Look harder on CPAN before (re)inventing stuffs.
- But reinvent stuffs anyway, because it's fun.
My focus for the next period remains working on the data validation and form processing framework.