What are your environment settings for Unicode?
How have you set up your environment to work with Unicode? I want to make a cheat sheet for the Perl newbies. There is some information in the googlesphere but it's disperse and unfocused.
I'm working Unicode into the next edition of Learning Perl. The most frustrating part of this for newbies (Perl, Unicode, or otherwise) is getting all the pieces to cooperate. Even if you get it right inside your Perl program, your terminal might not handle Unicode. If your terminal handles it, you might not have the right fonts. And so on and so on.
I know what I've set up for my system and the programs I use, but that's just for the tools I use. What did you have to
- What environment variables did you set, and with what values? (LESSCHARSET, LANG, LC, LC_ALL)
- Where did you have to set the environment? For instance, the shells have their special files, but there are also files like ~/MacOSX/environment.plist or the Windows registry.
- What did you set in your editor preferences?
- What did you set in your terminal program (besides the shell settings)?
- What fonts do you use? Did they magically show up or did you have to hunt them down? Does that font do something special with your language?
I'm especially interested in settings for languages besides the european ones (anyone have bidi settings?).
If you have a favorite resource, tell me about that too. :)