How do you update your system Perl?
Although I'm an advocate of configuring and installing your own perl while leaving the system perl alone, I'd like to have a list of the various ways particular distros and package managers do it for the system perl.
- The package manager program (e.g. yum, apt-get)
- The package name(s) to get the standard distribution, including the docs, ExtUtils::MakeMaker, and everything else
- Does that package manager allows you to configure, per-package, the installation location.
- Discovering module packages (what is the name, version of the module, etc)
- Your distro version, if it matters (do some distros change package managers)?
I can make a chart here if people chime in with what they know about their system. I've seen scattered hints, but no where that pulls this all together for the various major distros.