Test2/Test::Builder Update from the QAH
For the impatient, here is a summary:
- Test2 is going to be part of the Test-Simple dist. It will not be a standalone dist.
- The next stable Test-Simple release will include Test2 and a Test::Builder that runs on Test2.
- The release date for the next stable Test-Simple, which includes Test2, will be no sooner than Friday May 6'th, which is our planned release date.
The QAH discussion focused around a single question: "What is the best path forward for Test::Builder when we consider both end-users and test tool authors?"
Arguments for updating Test::Builder to use Test2:
- It avoids the need to split the testing ecosystem in two, with every Test:: module forked into a Test::Builder and Test2 version.
- It reduces the number of possible configurations to maintain and test. Some of these configurations were known to be problematic.
Arguments for keeping Test2 and Test::Builder separate:
- We are changing things out from under people, the only way to opt-out is to not upgrade.
- Darkpan is a black box, we cannot predict potential breakages.
- There are a small number of cpan modules we know will break
When the room came to a vote the result was overwhelmingly in favor of updating Test::Builder.
The discussion also resulted in a few action items that prevent a stable release during the QAH:
- Test2 will be integrated into the Test-Simple distribution
- A test will run that reports any modules that are broken, or need to be updated as a result of the Test2 upgrade.
- Test2 will have a post-testing check that warns you if you have a Test2/Test::Builder version mismatch.
- Test2 will have a post-testing check that warns you about any known-broken module versions loaded during testing (but only if the tests failed).
These are important action items that help to alleviate the concerns of those who were against updating Test::Builder. All of these items are now done, and a dev release has been uploaded to cpan. Assuming the dev release does not find any show-stopping bugs it will be released as stable no sooner than Friday May 6th which is the planned release date.
Thank you to DreamHost for sending me to the QAH!