Test release for DBD::mysql available - ssl by default
Dear Perl and MySQL community,
We're pleased to announce the release of DBD::mysql 4.033_01, the Perl DBI driver for MySQL and MariaDB databases. This is not a 'stable' release but merely for testing and feedback. We'll put out a stable 4.034 release soon; probably before christmas.
Linking against SSL by default?
Apart from that, I'd like to announce that we might want to link to
SSL by default. MySQL 5.7 makes SSL connections to databases more
common; right now in DBD::mysql you'd need to pass an option to
--ssl) in order to enable linking to libssl. Of course,
many people (and linux distributions!) don't do this by default. On
the expense of the added dependency to libssl we'd want to default to
compiling against libssl. We'd introduce a
--nossl flag for the cases
where you'd explicitly NOT want to link to SSL. When DBD::mysql is
compiled against libssl you can still make connections to not-sslified
Any feedback (+1's, remarks or objections) would be appreciated!
Changelog for this development release
2015-12-15 Patrick Galbraith, Michiel Beijen, DBI/DBD community (4.033_01)
- Raise minimum DBI version to 1.609 (from 2009!) in order to make tests pass on RHEL5.
- Add explicit documentation for how to enable SSL at build time, provided by genio.
- Improve test suite to make it more robust using mixed versions of client and server.
- Fix use after free error in my_login, provided by hannob.
- Add explicit instructions stating brackets are required around ipv6-addresses in connection strings, provided by Kenny Gryp.
Release on CPAN: https://metacpan.org/release/MICHIELB/DBD-mysql-4.033_01
UPDATE, UPDATE, read all about it!
After feedback we've decided to make the jump, which was probably long overdue, and link to SSL by default as proposed above. There's a new development release with these changes on CPAN.
2015-12-18 Patrick Galbraith, Michiel Beijen, DBI/DBD community (4.033_02)
- Compile against libssl by default. This allows to connect against remote MySQL servers using SSL. Previously this was only achieved with an explicit switch provided to Makefile.PL - if for some reason you can't or don't wantto link against libssl, you can use the new
--nosslswitch to Makefile.PL.
- Made tests more robust after CPAN Testers failures.
Release on CPAN: https://metacpan.org/release/MICHIELB/DBD-mysql-4.033_02
Github repo: https://github.com/perl5-dbi/DBD-mysql
Patrick and Michiel