Perl Toolchain Summit 2017 - Day 3
My third day at the Perl Toolchain Summit was primarily spent in trying to make the cpancover server and infrastructure into more of a production-ready system and less of a Devel::Cover playground. The first step in this direction was supposed to be easy - I made a login for the metacpan group with the idea that they could regularly rsync the coverage results for backup purposes. Unfortunately, this lead me down a yak shaving path I wasn't planning on travelling until later.
When setting up cpancover, I decided to take the easy option and chuck all the
results into a single directory. I made the filesystem ext4 so I wouldn't have
to worry about hitting limits. Unfortunately, the metacpan box doing the rsync
is set up on ext3 and won't support more that 32k subdirectories. So I need to
fix up the way that results are stored. I knew this would come sooner or
later, even if only because I would surely one day get sufficiently tired of
ls and immediately regretting it.
In order to make such a change, I need a proper development area to test it. Cpancover has basically just been running since I set it going about three years ago, when I pretty much built it in place. So before making such a large change I need to be able to control things like the docker image being used and the directories being written to. This is also important to be able to allow anyone else to work on the system. So much of the day was spent on this.
Two people separately came to me with the problem that some of their tests
require extra modules to be installed and so, by default, these tests aren't
run and the coverage suffers accordingly. Four years ago, at the QA Hackathon
in Lancaster, a number of clever people got together, and I was there too. We
thrashed out The Lancaster
which, thankfully, included a solution to this problem. The environment
$EXTENDED_TESTING can be set to indicate that the user or process
running tests is willing to run optional tests that may take extra time or
resources to complete. So I made cpancover set that environment variable, and
Graham and Tux altered Moo and Spreadsheet::Read respectively to pay attention
to it. I mention this in detail for such a simple change (for me) just to
point out (again) the value of the summit, not just for the work which takes
place at the time, but also for how it smooths subsequent work, even years
I did a few other bits and bobs, and ended up watching an Italian dancing gorilla and a horse on a ladder from Azerbaijan whilst waiting for some modules to install, which can't be bad. (Thanks Eurovision.)
Thanks again to all the sponsors who made this possible: Booking.com, ActiveState, cPanel, FastMail, MaxMind, Perl Careers, MongoDB, SureVoIP, Campus Explorer, Bytemark, CAPSiDE, Charlie Gonzalez, Elastic, OpusVL, Perl Services, Procura, Oetiker+Partner.
Leave a comment