With my open source work, I've historically taken an approach which relies more on integration testing than unit testing, but with some of my newer projects, I've tried adopting principles from $paidwork and applying them to my free software.
This is a quick run-down of how I'm structuring my test suite in newer projects. It's likely that many of my existing projects will never adopt this structure, but some may.
For letting me know my test coverage has increased by 0.00006%.
(Seriously it's a pretty cool service though.)
How to File a Perfect Bug Report
My criteria for a perfect bug report...
- The report is filed correctly.
- The issue identified affects the latest version of the software.
- The report includes a test script illustrating the problem
- ... which is self-contained
- ... and is minimal
- ... and conforms to the Test Anything Protocol.
- The report includes an explanation.
- The report includes patch
- ... which is well-written
- ... and obeys coding conventions.
Obviously all reports of genuin…