Two days down, two to go.
The Perl QA Hackathon for 2016 is being held in Rugby. We are now half way though. This is the first year in quite a few when I haven't come to the event with Devel::Cover failing tests against the imminent new Perl release, and this has given me a little more time to concentrate on other matters.
A large part of the value of the QA hackathon is in the discussions that take place when people can sit together and thrash something out, or bounce ideas off each other. I have been able have a number of interesting discussions, some relating to things I…
Today is Devel::Cover's 15th anniversary. Version 0.01 was released on 9th
first Perl version which provided the necessary infrastructure for Devel::Cover
In commemoration I have released Devel::Cover 1.22, which is the one hundred and
twenty-second release of Devel::Cover.
Over that time there have been 1394 commits from at least 87 authors, though the
first 50 releases were made without version control. In 2004 I started using
svk and later migrated …
Devel::Cover is fast approaching its fifteenth birthday. When it was released the minimum Perl version supported was 5.6.1, and that was because the mechanism Devel::Cover needed was not introduced until 5.6.1.
Since that time, Devel::Cover has supported every new, stable version of Perl, whilst continuing to support every version from 5.6.1. Not every feature is available on every version, but most are.
I have recently pushed a commit which raises the minimum version to 5.8.1. The main reason for this is that it is becoming increasingly difficult to install 5.6.x and 5.8.0 to test against. Other reasons are that Devel::Cover has reduced functionality prior to 5.8.1, and that the official Perl toolchain now has a minimum version of 5.8.1. I'd rather spend my limited time on other aspects of Devel::Cover than supporting perl versions that are well over a decade old.
I doubt very much that anyone is seriously using current versions of Devel::Cover on versions of Perl before 5.8.1, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who might find this new minimum requirement to be troublesome.
Otherwise, I'll plan on releasing Devel::Cover 1.22 with this new requirement in the near future.
In accordance with the terms of my grant from TPF this is the final report for my work on improving Devel::Cover.
Since the last report I have released versions 1.16 and 1.17.
The stable release of perl 5.20.1 along with development releases up to 5.21.4 have come out, and are all supported fully in Devel::Cover.
[ I have been sending these grant reports to the perl-qa mailing list, whence they have found their way to news.perlfoundation.org. It was quite rightly suggested that it was appropriate to post them here too and so, somewhat belatedly, I am doing just that. ]
In accordance with the terms of my grant from TPF this is the monthly
report for my work on improving Devel::Cover covering May and June 2014.
Actually, it's really only for May. I did some work on Devel::Cover in June…