Nordic Perl Workshop 2018 Highlights
- Mojolicious has a new logo. New shirts, stickers, and other swag coming soon.
- The Nordic Perl Workshop and MojoConf are the same thing. They had to share the #npw2018 tag with National Payroll Week going on at the same time in the UK.
- I released a preview copy of my secret project to write a Mojo Web Client book in three months to deliver at this conference. I got really, really close. I expect it to be available through PerlSchool at the end of September.
- Mojolicious 8 adds several things. Even more Promises, Roles, secure user-agents, and many other things I had to adjust in my Mojo Web Client book.
- Joel Berger gave his Mojolicious Gardening talk about how to go from a Lite app to a full Mojo app. It's a lot less work than you think and you don't have to do it all at once.
- Joel Berger wants you to write an article for the Mojolicious Advent Calendar (2017 version). Look at the articles already there and send a pull request.
- Dylan Hardisonn is rewriting Bugzilla in Mojolicious. Bugzilla has a feature that allows people to apply a limited number of votes to issues. Scarcity allows the important issues to float to the top.
- We had a lively discussion about what syntax edge cases we'd like to go away.
- Salve Nilsen thinks every Perl programmer should have a Perl sticker on their laptop as a conversation starter.
- If you hang out at Hackeriet you are expected to drink Club-Mate (informal advertising slug "You'll get used to it", maybe apocryphal)
- All the tech companies seem to be hiring. Sebastian says SUSE has lots of jobs.
- Kronberg Satellite Services was a sponsor, but we didn't get any free satellites or telescopes. They were quite generous despite that.
Salve also has a great selection of Perl (and non-Perl) stickers. Go to Oslo, have a beer with him, and find your favorites! I got several new ones this week!