CPAN PR-Challenge: May Report

Somehow I missed to post my April report. Don't remember well what was the PR. It was something basic, as I lack the time for real work.

This month I prepared a Pull Request on removing HTML from result entries obtained with WWW::Wikipedia. Now, waiting to see if it gets merged. It seems I have no luck on my PRs to be merged...

Term::ReadLine::Gnu Unicode Hell

I must be doing something wrong. Surely. I have a REST service. I get data using HTTP::Tiny and use JSON::Tiny to decode it.

If I try to print to the Term::ReadLine::Gnu OUT filehandle, I get double encoded strings, like this:

    coração

If I try to binmode it to utf-8, things get worst, with triple encoded strings:

    coração

Resolved it decoding (Encode::decode) from UTF-8 and using the internal Perl character representation. It worked.

The problem was when I tried to feed a pre-defined input line to Term::Rea…

CPAN PR-Challenge - April Report

This was a busy month in my teaching duties. Also, needed to debug and create pull requests for other projects. Nevertheless, I managed to create a small pull request in the PRC assigned module, Google::ProtocolBuffers Perl implementation.

The pull request was a validation of the google spec, adding a test for enumeration values with aliases. Looking to the existing tests it was not clear if that functionality was implemented. Therefore, my test was to know if I should try to implement that functionality or not. Fortunately, the tests passed. And because more tests is always good, thi…

CPAN PR-Challenge: March Report #2

The second pull request for this month is, this time, in the distribution that was assigned to me, Exobrain. In this case, it was a simple PR on dependencies.

First, define the minimum version for Data::Structure::Util, the distribution for which I created my first PR this month, in order to make it pass all the tests in version 5.20 and above. Also, took some time to clean up the C syntax.

Then, remove some dependencies that seems no longer needed from dist.ini (were hard coded) and also define a minimum version for a required module directly in the use statement.

So,…

CPAN PR-Challenge: March Report #1

This month I was assigned Exobrain. My first problem is that I can not install install it at all because dependencies are failing. The first failing dependency was Data::Structure::Util.

Looking around in Testers Matrix I found that is was failing only on 5.20 or above. Then, looked up the failing test, and understood Perl changed the way undef are passed to subroutines as first argument. After reading the Perl Delta and discussing with Andy Armstrong (the module maintainer) about that, the test was removed (it was based on a bug or not standard behavior). I did not get a chance to cr…